How To Appeal To Searchers With SEO
Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing sound similar but they are different aspects of Online Marketing. SEO works differently from SEM. Search Engine Optimization is the process of making changes that will improve the organic ranking of your website.
What SEO Is:
- Organic Search Results
- Improving the text on your website to improve ranking
- Getting more websites to link to your website
Search Engine Optimization looks at different ranking factors to figure out where to place your website. The higher the content you have on your website is deemed as relevant, the better your website is positioned in organic search results.
95% of users do not go past the first page. The higher your website ranks, the greater the chances you have of users clicking through to your website.
Search Engine Marketing is the process of paying for advertising space on other websites and or search engine results pages.
What SEM Is:
- Search results which have been paid for
- Setting A Budget For Your Ad Spend
Search Engine Marketing uses ads to get a better position in the paid search results section.
How Do Search Engines Work
Search Engines start off by crawling the web. Starting off with a list of sites following links from one page to another and collecting any external links they find.
Once the first crawl has been completed, all the external links which were found in the first crawl will be next in line to be crawled. The process repeats itself over and over again collecting as much of the web as possible.
All of the web pages collected are placed in an index and is sorted by various ranking factors including but not limited to quality of content, backlinks, relevance and many more factors.
When a user searches for something on Google search, it is up to the search engines algorithm to figure out indexed websites which contain relevant information pertaining to the users search phrase. Results are then populated based on the ranking factors.
What this means to you is that you need to make your website User friendly for your target market and also your site should be indexed easily by search engines.
Taking your time to put yourself in the shoes of your target market helps you to create content which is appealing and useful to your target market.
For example: A baker who specializes in wedding cakes can create useful and relevant information by creating content around weddings such as best wedding venues, wedding dress maker or even guides on how to plan the perfect wedding.
Because these topics are related to the wedding cakes, it means that users will interact with your brand before they even decide on their wedding cake.
If the content you have is relevant and useful to the user, then it means there is a greater chance for the user to make use of your services as you will provided them with relevant & useful information pertaining to what they have searched for
Why You Should Optimize Your Site For Users and Search Engines (Search Engine Optimization)
Optimizing your website for Search Engines is a process of making your website content easier to be crawled and indexed by search engines. These factors include but not limited to accessible URL, Title & Description, how long it takes the search engine to crawl and index the content on your website and the tags that you use to markup your content (semantic web) and many more factors.
Search engines and people see websites differently, which means that you have to optimize your website differently for users and search engines.
Preparing your website to be search engine friendly means that it should be easily navigated and the structure must be logical so that search engines will crawl and index your website correctly.
Search Engine Optimization Do’s & Dont’s
- Page Title should be a clear reflection of what the page is about
- Each page should have a unique description which should tie in with your Title.
- Domain name that is easy to read and also describes your main service if possible
- Page URL on the website should be a clear eg: www.yourdomain.com/services/cleaning/
- Creative Titles which are talking about something not on the page
- Use vague or default title which is auto generated
- Use vague or default description which is auto generated
- Create lengthy and complicated URL
Search Engine Optimization For User
Optimizing your website for the user means that you need to create content which is relevant, useful and engaging. This alone is one of the biggest factors considered when ranking a website. (Having great content which can’t be accessed by search engines spiders mean that your site will not be ranked properly).
Users tend to share useful information through Social Media, Blogs, Email and many more platforms with other users within their circle. Word of mouth referral has a high conversation rate as compared to other channels.
Simple Guidelines To Creating Optimized Content
- Organize your content and focus on subject at hand.
- Divide your content into easily digestible chunks so that users can easily read and find what they are looking for quicker.
- Add a caption title and alt information about the image.
- Add new unique content regularly
Look at your website. Ask yourself if you think your website is sending the right message both to search engines and your target market.
- Try searching for the keywords you want your website to be found for and see where you are currently ranking.
- Look at the title & description and put yourself in your target market shoes to see what needs to be optimized.
- Search Engine Optimization is a long term process which takes time before you can start to see results.
If you are looking for quick or instant results then SEO is not the best option for you as it requires time and patience. SEM can be a better option as the only limit you have is your budget.